Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:29:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> What typically happens is that the company has had 1-2 years to recover
> their costs and make a profit, and they usually donate the code to the
> project, give us the code to take the parts we can make use of, or just
> abandon the project and move all their customers to the community
> solution. However, sometimes things don't work that cleanly.
>
> Do we promote proprietary add-on software, and if so, how? And if there
> are similar open-source solutions, does that affect the issue?

Well let me be clear on a couple of things with this.

1. I do not expect the community to be Command Prompt's marketing arm.
2. I do not expect better billing than an OSS component.

The most obvious example of course is what started all of this which
was Slony-I/Mammoth Replicator.

I have zero problem with the mention, of Slony in the press release. I
do believe that it is a good product and CMD will make a ton of money
supporting it. So the more presence it receives the better.

However, I also believe that Mammoth Replicator would deserve equal
mention, especially since Mammoth Replicator is more mature and they
really are different products that serve a similar but not identical
purpose.

Also specifically for 8.0 it may be of interest to note that Slony won't
currently run on what is about to be our most popular platform, Windows.
However Mammoth Replicator will.

So in answer to your second question, I would say no I don't believe
that it effects the issue. If there is an OSS component that serves the
same purpose by all means reflect that. I just feel that we may be
potentially ignoring a very important piece of the community by not
highlighting closed source products that utilize PostgreSQL.

I would say, either promote all relevant add on software or promote none.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes