Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:18:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robby Russell wrote:

>Beautifully put. This is a press release of what makes PostgreSQL 8.0
>what it is. What is PostgreSQL and what can it do for me? I'm not
>interested in what companies market their own versions.
>
>Should we expect that when linux kernel 3.0 is out that we'll see
>mentions of Red Hat and Novell selling great commercial versions that
>use kernel 3.0?

I think this is something we as a community should aspire towards, but
we are not there yet.  There is not reall the concept of a PostgreSQL
distribution yet.

Also Red Hat and Novell sell commercial *distributions* of Linux.  Their
versions of the kernel are still completely open source, as they have to
be according to the license.

>In my opinion, I would stick to what is included in 8.0 when you
>download the package off the site. plPerlNG, plPHP, Slony-I, etc are all
>ADDONs and should be represented as such. Otherwise you get a bunch of
>people who didn't read the release properly, download it..install it and
>find that you dont see plPHP in contribs/ and where is this Slony
>replication they spoke of? Hmm, not in the source tree. I have to
>download it seperately...etc. For someone new to open source and/or
>postgresql this might come across as generating too much hype over 3rd
>party products (which these are). The 3rd party projects/products don't
>make PostgreSQL what is, they only help enhance it. *the cherry on top*

The Linux kernel without any support software is far less useful than
PostgreSQL without any add-ons.  So for now, you are right.  But as time
goes on, I would hope that we will see Mammoth PostgreSQL and other
distributions (open source and commercial) will become the way that
people get and use the software.  But to make this work, I think, we
need a community maintained distribution.  Right now, PostgreSQL is that
distribution, and it has no replication.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting