Re: stress testing and performance monitoring

From: Raphael Bauduin <raphael(dot)bauduin(at)be(dot)easynet(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stress testing and performance monitoring
Date: 2004-08-13 08:14:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Raphael,
>
> First off, you'll want to subscribe to, and migrate this discussion to, the
> PGSQL-PERFORMANCE mailing list.

I thought my question was too general to be posted to a specific list, from there
the post to the novice list. But I'll move to the performance list.

>>I am migrating a database to postgresql, with a data schema change.
>>I'd need to do some stress testing (on the db design I have, not
>>a general test a la TPC). I'm just starting to look at this,
>> and would appreciate any advice on:
>>- existing tools (I've seen http://ltp.sourceforge.net/dotshowto.php,
>>http://dbmonster.kernelpanic.pl/index.html,http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter
>>/ but still need to test them)
>

> Check out Jan's port of TPC-W on pgFoundry, and OSDL has their DBT-1,2,3
> tests.

Those seem to be test suites not interesting to me as mentioned in my original mail.
I don't want to benchmark postgresql, I want to test our db design's performance.

>>- links and docs to read on db stress testing
>

> General industry literature?

I hope the -performance list will have more helpful answers...

>>I guess the most significant measure is the time needed to complete
>>operations (read, insert, delete), but I guess other measurements are
>>advisable. I also wonder what I should measure server side. I've read the
>>docs on pg_stat*
>>(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING
>>-STATS-VIEWS-TABLE), but I don't know how I should interpret results, and
>>what I should really pay attention to.
>

> Well, you'll want your tool to measure the completion time of various tasks
> and compile it.
>
> Is this on 7.4 or 8.0?

This is on 7.4.

Raph