PGSQL 8-beta for WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: Jeff Skeith <jskeith1(at)san(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGSQL 8-beta for WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-13 02:19:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
Can anybody help get me started here?  I've downloaded the 8-beta .msi
file and ran set up on my XP Home laptop.  Now I have no clue what to do.

I followed Carlo's web tutorial and got almost all the way through the
Cygwin install for 7.4.3 (many, many times), but, alas, I ended here...

------------------------

When I type in the three lines of code - cygrunsrv --install postmaster
...  --shutdown, I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073:
The specified service exists already.

When I type in cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster, I get the following error:

cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069:
The service did not start due to logon failure.

------------------------

That's when I quite that route and went with the version 8-beta.  The
only problem is, I haven't seen any instructions that make a lick of
sense to me.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  I really want to standardize on
PGSQL rather than MySQL, but this whole painful process has left my head
ringing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I will post a tutorial of what I
did to get PGSQL up and running if I'm able to do it.  If not, I guess I
have to go with MySQL even though I would prefer not to go that route.

TIA...

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: operationsengineer1Date: 2004-08-13 03:17:43
Previous:From: SkeetsDate: 2004-08-13 00:34:14
Subject: PGSQL Crossroads