Re: pgAdmin III nearing beta phase

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III nearing beta phase
Date: 2004-08-12 20:00:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> Testing
> =======
>
> We are not in beta yet of course, but bug reports from the latests CVS
> snapshots would be more than welcome at pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)
> pgAdmin releases have always been pretty stable and bug free - I'd like
> to make this the best yet! So, if you have time, please grab the latest
> version (which is also included in the PostgreSQL 8.0 Windows Installer
> betas) and give it a whirl.

The current version per 2004-08-11 includes a restore wizard, which
tries to simplify pg_restore handling. Its function has deliberately
been reduced to a subset of pg_dump/pg_restore's capabilities (we might
implement an 'expert level' later). This function needs intensive
testing, and while we always state we don't guarantee for destroyed data
it must be stressed that this tool is much more likely to destroy data
than any other tools in pgadmin3 before if the parameters calculated
from the user's input are not correct (which would be a bug). I've spent
quite a lot of time to avoid that, but *please* test it carefully, I'm
certainly blind for some of my own programming mistakes!
Unfortunately, there's no doc so far how it *should* work, will do that
ASAP.

> Translations
> ============
>
> We have a huge number of translations for pgAdmin compared to other FOSS
> projects which is great. Now that we're in feature freeze, it's time to
> start updating the translations to reflect all the changes that have
> been made since 1.0. The translation web page gives most of the
> information anyone could need about translating pgAdmin. If anyone wants
> to start a new translation, please feel free. If anyone wants to help
> one of the existing translators, please contact them directly and let
> the list know if you come to an arrangement. Obviously we are grateful
> to our existing translators for the hard work last time around, and it
> would be great to hear from them all again this time!

I wonder if we can have the installer localized as well. It will contain
probably much much less cryptic strings, and should be easier to
translate. OTOH, it's the very first program a user will get in touch
with, so it's like the business card of pgsql.

> http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.php
>
> Documentation
> =============
>
> If anyone wishes to contribute but is not a programmer, then we would
> welcome any contributions and updates to the documentation. Not only
> could we use documentation on pgAdmin itself, but also the bundled
> PostgreSQL docs will need to be updated to 8.0 at some point.

Oh yeah...

We could start with a consistent set of nice screenshots for all
application dialogs (not all object property dialogs, of course). There
have been changes to virtually all dialogs. Please note that the main
window should display some sensible data, not just "tables(1): test".

I'm afraid the text part will be mostly on my duty :-(
'though support would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Andreas