Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-12 19:14:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Marc,
>>
>>> Also, the PR should be focused around what we are releasing, not side
>>> projects ... Slony-I isn't part of this release, and, IMHO, isn't
>>> appropriate as part of the PostgreSQL Server press release ... they
>>> should
>>> be doing their own Press Release for that. Focus on what *we* are
>>> releasing, not what another project is releasing ...
>>

>> Afilias didn't want to do a Slony press release, which is why I want
>> to mention it in passing in the main release. Along with several
>> other add-ons.

Well -- and although I am notably biased it does seem that it is not
quite correct to announce Slony as part of version 8. Slony is not "the"
PostgreSQL Replication solution. It is one of many as many have (not
just myself) noted.

To be fair :) the only thing that makes Slony notable for PostgreSQL is
that it is Open Source. There are other replication systems out there
that have been working for some time.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> IMHO, it detracts from what we are announcing ... ... but if nobody else
> feels the same way, go for it ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 640 bytes