Re: data model help, was Re: Using null date fields to indicate

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data model help, was Re: Using null date fields to indicate
Date: 2004-08-12 09:39:17
Lists: sfpug
Josh Berkus wrote:
> How about a SQL dump of just the tables we're dealing with?   I can't speak

These tables don't exist yet, they're in the design stage.

> For the sanity of your successors, you may want to consider giving up HU in

Since it is intelligible and provides useful information at the
application development and debugging level, I don't consider it a relic.

> Now, how does this relate to your question about using NULL dates?

As asked, I provided examples of how the data is queried and described
my current questions:

1.  Using NULL dates versus a boolean indicator, for example, in the
tblMapAttendeeFlags.  The extra information about start and end is not
really necessary but may be a "nice to have".  My original inquiry
regarding performance, if it was determined the date approach was
considerably slower, would have swung me to use boolean here.
Membership type, however, in tblMapMemberType requires the tenure of a
position so that will use the date approach, regardless of performance.

2. I'm not sure about feeding the PK of tblMapAttendeeClasses from to
tblMapEventClasses.  The image I sent doesn't have it this way but this
requirement would force the attendee classes to use those classes that
have been "offered" explicitly.  I can't decide if tblMapEventClasses is
completely unnecessary or should be more important?

3. tblMapAttendeeClasses stores 1-n records of a tblLookupAttendee
record to specify which event parts the attendee participates in (along
with class, vehicle, instructor, grid pos, etc).  I've currently not
referenced tblLookupAttendee (uidClubMember, uidEvent) but I'm wondering
if I'm better off doing so?

4. Does my approach for storing arbitrary custom questions (that may be
of several data types) in tblLookupCustomQ and tblMapCustomQ seem OK?
I'm sure others have come across a similar requirement; thoughts?

Brian