Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available

From: Aleksander Kmetec <aleksander(dot)kmetec(at)intera(dot)si>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pginstaller-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available
Date: 2004-08-11 04:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Dave Page wrote:
>>initdb.log says:
>>initdb: "WIN1250" is not a valid server encoding name
>
> OK, it would seem that some of the encodings listed in
> src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c are not listed as supported on
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/multibyte.html (that
> includes win1250). I have limited the list to exactly what's in the
> documentation.

I've also noticed a problem with locales.

Installer uses a static list of locales copied from MSDN. Because of
this, not all locales installed on the current system are listed as
available. Also, if you only supply a locale name to initdb, then the
default encoding for that locale is used as value for lc_* settings
(German_Germany.1252, Slovenian_Slovenia.1250, ...). This causes errors
in sorting order and wrong return values for locale dependant functions
when your database encoding differs from locale encoding.

If there's nobody else working on this yet, I can try doing it myself,
since I already have a piece of code which retrieves all installed
locales and code pages for the current system.

Regards, Aleksander