Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Vacuum delay activated by default.
Date: 2004-08-08 00:19:24
Lists: pgsql-committers
On 8/7/2004 2:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> Just curious, but isn't this one of the key points about pg_autovacuum in
>> the first place?  So that you vacuum what needs to be vacuum'd, and not
>> *everything* ... ?  Shouldn't the answer to the 'bandwidth issue' change
>> to 'you should install/use pg_autovacuum'?
>
> No, not really, but I think it's much more likely that you'd want to
> enable vacuum delay for autovacuum-commanded vacuums than vacuums
> commanded interactively.  Or, if you still prefer the old-tech way of
> performing routine vacuums from a cron script, you'd probably turn on
> vacuum delay in that cron script.
>
> I think we *should* add to autovacuum a parameter to let it set
> vacuum_delay for its vacuums, and maybe even default to having it on.
> But I'm unconvinced we want any delay as the global default.

That sounds like a good idea.

But then again, based on this entire discussion and the fact that
unvoluntary vacuum runs during a production servers peak time are the
worst thing that can happen, I take it that it was never intended to
enable pg_autovacuum by default either and that one has to enable it
explicitly in the configuration, right?

Jan