Using null date fields to indicate active/expired records

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using null date fields to indicate active/expired records
Date: 2004-08-06 11:31:12
Lists: sfpug
Does anyone have any experience using a start/end date pair to indicate
active/expired records where a NULL end date indicates an active record?

I'm looking for performance comparisons to using a simple boolean field
to indicate the same.  The extra information about start to end would be
useful but is not strictly required.

I would be grateful for any advice.  Thanks,

Brian

sfpug by date

Previous:From: Joseph BrennerDate: 2004-08-03 00:37:21
Subject: Re: Still Need Help with LWE Booth Pick-up Thursday PM!