Re: [GENERAL] trash talk

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>,pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] trash talk
Date: 2004-08-06 05:12:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 09:01, Scott Ribe wrote:
>
>>> Interesting, IBM is saying that the code is worth 85M
>>> dollars!
>>
>> Well... Actually they're saying: "we paid $85M for it, now
>> we're giving it away, aren't we generous?"
>

> Hey guys, after reading the article, I began a dialog with Lisa
> Vaas, the author, and we had quite a civil discourse over it.

Her continued use of the phrase "the company" still makes me think
she doesn't understand (asterisks added by me):

"You're right, I didn't understand that. I appreciate the
explanation. *It* is markedly different from *other companies* in
*its* structure. I always contact Geoff Davidson, CEO of PostgreSQL
Inc., with the understanding that there basically was a somewhat
standard company-like structure behind the technology. I can see
that I assumed wrong, and I'll proceed differently in my reporting
on *the company* henceforth. At the very least, I'll get people to
explain more fully their dismissal of PostgreSQL so I understand how
it's perceived, and I'll try to correct my own perception.

Thanks again, and thanks of course for the level of refreshingly
civil discourse that is characteristic of the PostgreSQL community.

All my best, Lisa"

Oh, well.

Mike Mascari