Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Date: 2004-08-01 01:27:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Version 7.5 is as close to a major release as I have seen in the almost
9 years I have been using PostgreSQL.
This release brings about a lot of "enterprise" features that have been
holding back PostgreSQL in a big way for
for a long time.

All of my serious customers; potential, existing and past has all at one
point or another requested most if not
all of the features being released onto the world with 7.5. In fact the
only ones that I can think of off the top
of my head that isn't in the current list of availables is table
partitioning and to a lesser extent two phase commit.

This release definately deserves a major version jump. If it were up to
me it would be more than one (I would
call it 10h for obvious reasons. O.k. the h is a joke but I am serious
about the 10) just from a marketing
standpoint. I could argue a major version jump just from the fact that
we finally have a port to the most used
operating system (regardless if that is good or bad) in the world.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake