Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anybody have an Oracle PL/SQL reference at hand?
Date: 2004-07-31 19:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

I have sent you and the list the HTML page from the oracle tech network
describing all of this. However, it seems to have disappeared in to the
void since you don't seem to have received it and it hasn't hit the list
yet.

You can get a free login to access all the oracle docs and manuals, here:

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=1

If you like, however, I can just zip and email you the full PL/SQL PDF
manual that I just downloaded from the above URL.

Let me know if you want the PDF emailed to you.

> Can anyone check how well the syntax of plpgsql EXCEPTION, as described
> at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING
> agrees with what Oracle does? I did some googling but couldn't find
> anything that seemed authoritative. I'm wondering in particular if
> Oracle allows multiple condition names per WHEN, along the lines of
> WHEN condition [ , condition ... ] THEN
> handler_statements

It does, but with a different syntax:

---
If you want two or more exceptions to execute the same sequence of
statements, list the exception names in the WHEN clause, separating them
by the keyword OR, as follows:

EXCEPTION
WHEN over_limit OR under_limit OR VALUE_ERROR THEN
-- handle the error

If any of the exceptions in the list is raised, the associated sequence
of statements is executed. The keyword OTHERS cannot appear in the list
of exception names; it must appear by itself. You can have any number of
exception handlers, and each handler can associate a list of exceptions
with a sequence of statements. However, an exception name can appear
only once in the exception-handling part of a PL/SQL block or subprogram.
---

--
ACCESS_INTO_NULL
A program attempts to assign values to the attributes of an

CASE_NOT_FOUND
None of the choices in the WHEN clauses of a CASE statement is
selected, and there is no ELSE clause.

COLLECTION_IS_NULL
A program attempts to apply collection methods other than EXISTS to
an uninitialized nested table or varray, or the program attempts to
assign values to the elements of an uninitialized nested table or varray.

CURSOR_ALREADY_OPEN
A program attempts to open an already open cursor. A cursor must be
closed before it can be reopened. A cursor FOR loop automatically opens
the cursor to which it refers, so your program cannot open that cursor
inside the loop.

DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX
A program attempts to store duplicate values in a database column
that is constrained by a unique index.

INVALID_CURSOR
A program attempts a cursor operation that is not allowed, such as
closing an unopened cursor.

INVALID_NUMBER
In a SQL statement, the conversion of a character string into a
number fails because the string does not represent a valid number. (In
procedural statements, VALUE_ERROR is raised.) This exception is also
raised when the LIMIT-clause expression in a bulk FETCH statement does
not evaluate to a positive number.

LOGIN_DENIED
A program attempts to log on to Oracle with an invalid username or
password.

NO_DATA_FOUND
A SELECT INTO statement returns no rows, or your program references a
deleted element in a nested table or an uninitialized element in an
index-by table. Because this exception is used internally by some SQL
functions to signal that they are finished, you should not rely on this
exception being propagated if you raise it within a function that is
called as part of a query.

NOT_LOGGED_ON
A program issues a database call without being connected to Oracle.

PROGRAM_ERROR
PL/SQL has an internal problem.

ROWTYPE_MISMATCH
The host cursor variable and PL/SQL cursor variable involved in an
assignment have incompatible return types. For example, when an open
host cursor variable is passed to a stored subprogram, the return types
of the actual and formal parameters must be compatible.

SELF_IS_NULL
A program attempts to call a MEMBER method, but the instance of the
object type has not been initialized. The built-in parameter SELF points
to the object, and is always the first parameter passed to a MEMBER method.

STORAGE_ERROR
PL/SQL runs out of memory or memory has been corrupted.

SUBSCRIPT_BEYOND_COUNT
A program references a nested table or varray element using an index
number larger than the number of elements in the collection.

SUBSCRIPT_OUTSIDE_LIMIT
A program references a nested table or varray element using an index
number (-1 for example) that is outside the legal range.

SYS_INVALID_ROWID
The conversion of a character string into a universal rowid fails
because the character string does not represent a valid rowid.

TIMEOUT_ON_RESOURCE
A time-out occurs while Oracle is waiting for a resource.

TOO_MANY_ROWS
A SELECT INTO statement returns more than one row.

VALUE_ERROR
An arithmetic, conversion, truncation, or size-constraint error
occurs. For example, when your program selects a column value into a
character variable, if the value is longer than the declared length of
the variable, PL/SQL aborts the assignment and raises VALUE_ERROR. In
procedural statements, VALUE_ERROR is raised if the conversion of a
character string into a number fails. (In SQL statements, INVALID_NUMBER
is raised.)

ZERO_DIVIDE
A program attempts to divide a number by zero.
--

Chris