unicode strings are not sorted alphabetically

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade(at)ints(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unicode strings are not sorted alphabetically
Date: 2004-07-31 17:43:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

This applies to non-english strings (in my case - russian). I've
stumbled upon it on version 7.3.4. ( PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on
i386-portbld-freebsd5.2.1, compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 3.3.3 [FreeBSD]
20031106)

The attached files where created with:

pg_dump -U lib lib > database_dump
psql lib lib -c "select * from authors order by name" > result_of_query

The sorting order seem to be incorrect. Alpabetically they should be
sorted by 'id's as:

1
2
3
5
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23

There's also another question on it. The russian alhabet differs from
ukrainian alphabet, so sorting should occur in different order. But the
order, provided by unicode charmap isn't good for any of them. This
probably applies to any Cyrillic charset.

--
[WBR], Arcade. [SAT Astronomy/Think to survive!]

Attachment Content-Type Size
database_dump text/plain 2.0 KB
result_of_query text/plain 874 bytes