Re: Bug in 7.4_213 driver: returns VARCHAR instead of

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "j(dot)random(dot)programmer" <javadesigner(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in 7.4_213 driver: returns VARCHAR instead of
Date: 2004-07-29 22:20:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> I'm not so sure anymore. While text can be used for storing large values
> it often isn't. Further returning LONGVARCHAR could be a sign for the
> caller to use something like ResultSet.getCharacterStream instead of a
> simple getString.

I would agree. In our applications we exclusively use text everywhere
we use varchar on other databases. I am quite sure that a change like
this would break peoples existing apps. I also agree that LONGVARCHAR
would imply that you should use the getXXXStream methods which I would
say is rarely the correct thing to do. In my opinion text is just a
better version of varchar (without many of the limitations imposed on
varchar in other database vendor implementations).

--Barry