Re: Admin functions contrib

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Admin functions contrib
Date: 2004-07-29 19:03:38
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Basically I think we are converging on an answer that we can't do any of
> this for 7.5.

If it's not going into the distribution as contrib or core, I'll package
that as additional admin pack. I'm quite sure I can convince the win32
installer packager guys to include that as default-on option as soon as
I'm able to prove them how it's working.

> The scope has gone way beyond what we had at feature
> freeze, and we can't even get it to work on Win32,

??? The functions will work for win32, are you talking about logging?
The win32 log issue isn't a serverlog rotation issue, as I stated also
the current stderr output is affected! I'd clearly see that as a fix,
whilst it might be more than 10 lines of code. I'll try to fix that
tomorrow. The very log_destination=file and rotation code will be more
or less the same as for ***x.

> I have added this to the TODO list:
>
> * Allow server logs to be read using SQL commands
> * Allow server configuration parameters to be modified remotetly

This is desirable in any case. But until 7.6 will be around, 1-1.5 years
and ???,000 installations will happen. Since the functionality is
available now or will be available VSN (certainly before 7.5 release),
there's no good reason suppress it.

Regards,
Andreas