Re: replication and linux-ha?

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Negyesi Karoly <chx(at)mail(dot)tvnet(dot)hu>
Subject: Re: replication and linux-ha?
Date: 2004-07-29 16:29:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
Negyesi Karoly wrote:

> Welcome,
> I am planning to do a linux-ha cluster. Is replication applicable in a
> solution like this? The main questions are that after the main node
> fails and the slave node becomes the master:
> -- a postmaster, started as slave, will be able to work standalone?
> -- after repairing the main node, it will become the slave node, so the
> aforementioned postmaster shall become master. Is this possible?
> Thanks
> Karoly Negyei

Yes you can, you have to define a service with a IP address, so when
the service postgres is relocated in the passive node also the IP
is migrated.

And you have also to develop a scripts that linux-ha cluster will use
in order to know if the service is working.

We adopted this solution with the help of a SAN attached with fiber
channell (this assure us that only one node can be attached to
the common storage) and all is working fine.

Gaetano Mendola