Re: [HACKERS] Binary Cursors, and the COPY command

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Binary Cursors, and the COPY command
Date: 2004-07-27 10:04:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

(moved to -jdbc)

Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Another more philosophical question (more suitable on the jdbc list) is when
> the Java 1.3 support should be limited (or perhaps discontinued altogether)
> so that further development can exploit everything that 1.4 provides. After
> all, it's been around for more than 2 years now. AFAIK, the early bugs
> forcing you to cling on to the 1.3 have been fixed a long time ago. Doesn't
> the current 3.0 driver make use of features from the Java 1.4 version of
> java.sql already?

JDBC3 support implies JDK1.4. But the driver has the JDBC3 support
separated out specifically so it's still possible to build under earlier
JDKs.

We only recently dropped JDK1.1 support (!). I think there might be some
resistance to dropping JDK1.2 / JDK1.3 support. Personally I target
JDK1.4 so it doesn't affect me anyway, but..

What features of 1.4 were you thinking of exploiting?

-O