Re: win32 version info

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 version info
Date: 2004-07-26 19:40:40
Lists: pgsql-patches

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>Can't you localize this into a single build rule somewhere?  And surely
>>we do not need to maintain a boilerplate .rc file for every executable.
>There is a field in the RC file that is "file description". It's pretty
>much different for every file. (There is also a "product description" in
>there which is the same).
>As for putting it in a single build rule - I don't know if that can be
>done. I thought it over and didn't come up with a way, but there may be
>other who are better at writing Makefiles... I guess a script could be
>written that generates the file, but the per-binary information has to
>be somewhere. Not sure how that method would be cleaner.

We would not need to generate it at all. Maybe something like this would

In the makefile, symlink each .rc file to the boilerplate version
somewhere, and put a definition like this:
FILEDESC="\"whatever you like\""

and also conditionally include the *rc.o file in its objects list.

The rc file would, of course, have this line:

   VALUE "FileDescription",  FILEDESC or similar could define the build rule once, like

%.o: %.rc
    windres -DFILEDESC=$(FILEDESC) $< -o $@

I hope you get the idea.