Max varchar size

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)sermonaudio(dot)com>
To: <psql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Max varchar size
Date: 2004-07-26 17:49:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

I need to know what the max size of a varchar field is allowed to be in
7.3.4. I have a table that someone created with a varchar(1000) field
(before I started here). We are noticing that when we try to view that
field we only end up with ~255 characters. This is making me think that
varchars are limited to 255. Is this true? If it is not, how do I see
the rest of the field? If it is, is the rest of the field lost?

Thanks,

Chris