Re: CVS web interface error

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS web interface error
Date: 2004-07-26 13:06:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 05:57, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>

>>>CVS web interface has not been working for a few days. Not important
>>>right now, but something to fix soon-ish.
>>>

>>It works okay for me (modulo $PostgreSQL$ issue, see other thread).
>>What URL are you visiting to get the stated error?
>>

>No, this isn't a CVSup issue.
>
>Go to http://developer.postgresql.org/
>then pick PostgreSQL Server CVS web interface.
>
>That successfully displays you list of files.
>
>Pick one, click on it and that file's history appears.
>
>Click "download" and it fails consistently with the error:
>Error
>Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout aborted]: Absolute
>module reference invalid: `/pgsql-server/COPYRIGHT'
>
>Check whether the directory /cvsroot//CVSROOT exists and the script has
>write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
>The script needs to place lock files in the directory the file is in as
>well.
>The error is received no matter which file you pick.
>
>I've got no problems with CVS, just the web interface CVSweb.

This is probably related to some hardening Marc did recently to cope
with some CVS security issues. It can be seen at this URL, for example:

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pgsql-server/README?rev=1.29&content-type=text/plain

FWIW, cvsweb download is working fine (after a recent fix) on pgfoundry.

cheers

andrew