Re: Improvements to PostgreSQL

From: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
To: Suresh Tri <trisuresh(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: Improvements to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-07-26 08:13:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Suresh Tri wrote:
<snip>
> All your sugestions are welcome. Please help us to
> implement these features.
> Our aim is to make postgresql enterprise level.

Hi Suresh,

From reading your post, I feel your team is approaching the goal of
making PostgreSQL "Enterprise Level" in a non-optimal way.

With the "soon to be released" version 7.5 of PostgreSQL, the core
database engine itself is already very good. This is not the area
needing to be worked upon for the next level of Enterprise Functionality.

Your team will likely have a lot more effect if they concentrate on what
Enterprises really need that PostgreSQL is missing:

+ An SNMP agent to report on PostgreSQL's status and allows remote
control of the PostgreSQL daemon. From an Oracle perspective, this
would be the equivalent of "Oracle Intelligent Agents", part of the core
features of the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).

+ Tools to allow control of PostgreSQL databases from one central
place. Again, the same as OEM.

+ Starting and stopping the database
+ Managing Users
+ Backup and Recovery
+ Alerts and submitting jobs
+ etc

Oracle does this by having a centralised information repository that
a management GUI connects too, and having Oracle Intelligent Agents
running on each server the database software is on. These Oracle
Intelligent Agents keep the centralised repository aware of the status
of the Oracle server software, perform actions on the Oracle servers as
directed by the centralised repository (jobs running on there,
instructions by the GUI, etc), and more.

There's more to what the OEM GUI does, but that's a good start.

+ Something else that would be useful is a GUI tool to automatically
setup PostgreSQL replication. The PostgreSQL "Slony-I" project would be
the first one to look at, and probably equivalent to something like
Oracle's Data Guard. They use the different approach, but the end
result is having a master and standby databases.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Thanks,