Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT)

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: storage engine , mysql syntax CREATE TABLE t (i INT)
Date: 2004-07-25 21:40:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Pierre Emmanuel Gros wrote:
>
>> In mysql, we can wrote a create table like CREATE TABLE t (i INT)
>> ENGINE = INNODB||BDB|;
>> where the storage engine is the innodb one.
>

> MySQL needs this because they have a weird understanding of RDBMS.

This could be true, but the answer doesn't make sense, at least it's
in a perfect "mysql people" style. Isn't ? We don't need transactions,
we don't needs store procedure and so on...

> There's absolutely no sense in trying to transfer this stuff into
> PostgreSQL. Use it as designed, and you'll never miss this MySQL "feature".

Another "mysql people" style answer.

We have only one engine: the full transactional one. If the OP need to have
for example the MEMORY one the he can easily create a RAM disk and with the
tablespaces support he can create tables or index or whatever objects
in memory.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola