Invalid page header

From: Ian Burrell <imb(at)rentrak(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Invalid page header
Date: 2004-07-22 17:29:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

I get the following error message when doing a select on a table:

ERROR: invalid page header in block 295 of relation "reported_titles"

I found some messages that said this means a block of this table is
corrupt. I found some suspicious lines in the server log just before:

ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3651584
DETAIL: could not open file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog/0003": No
such file or directory

How do I fix this corruption? I have dumped as much of the databases as
I can including about half of this table. Only this table is corrupt.

What could cause the corruption? We are using custom C code. Could
bugs in this be causing it? Or is hardware problems more likely?

- Ian