Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?

From: Michal Dobaczewski <mdobaczewski(at)cc(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: Jean-Guillaume LALANNE <jeanguillaume(dot)lalanne(at)capgemini(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?
Date: 2004-07-22 13:30:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Guillaume LALANNE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pretty new to the postgresql community.
> My question may seem a little bit strange but
> I'd like to know if it is possible to run 2
> postgresql processes with 2 separate databases on the
> same machine (change of the ports, different paths to
> logs, ...)?

Hello,

We are currently running five ;) (different versions) on our development
machine.

We have created separate admin user accounts for each (pgsql722, pgsql74
and so on) to make things easier. And we use 722 client tools (psql,
createdb) with 722 db and so on. I seem to remember we ran into some
problems when trying to cross versions which was the main reason for
separate user accounts but I cannot remember what those problems were
exactly.

When using matching version client tools there are no visible problems
whatsoever.

If there are some obscure problems this may cause, I'll gladly hear
about them myself because we also do it in one production environment
(two different postmasters).

Regards,

Michal Dobaczewski.