Re: From ODBC to .NET provider

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From ODBC to .NET provider
Date: 2004-07-21 19:01:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On 21 Jul 2004 at 12:53, Jon Asher wrote:

> Has anyone moved from the ODBC driver to a native .NET provider?  Any
> recommendations on which Postgres .NET provider to go with?  There are a
> couple commercial versions and the open soruce one....
>
> Jon

Yes, I've done some work with .NET (C#) and PostgreSQL. I started using the ODBC
driver which works pretty well. Just one bug with calling stored procedures with int2
parameters. The driver doesn't typecast the int2 parameters and so can't find the
function. Otherwise no real problems.

I moved to using Npgsql native driver for mainly performance reasons. Unfortunately I
have to maintain a codebase that supports both postgres and MS SQL Server. To
minimise the code changes I have gone back to ODBC.

Npgsql seems to perform very well and I never had any trouble using it. I tend to keep
my ADO.NET stuff fairly simple though. Connections, Commands (both text and stored
procedures), Datareaders. I don't use datasets so I can't tell you about this area and
Npgsql.

I have tried the PostgreSQL Direct driver from CoreLabs as I wanted to use their
Unidriver to maintain compatibility with SQLServer, but it is very buggy at the moment.

I would say that if you need to go native, then use the open source one (Npgsql)

Cheers,
Gary.