Re: How do I convice postgres to use an index?

From: Vic Ricker <vic(at)ricker(dot)us>
To: SZUCS Gabor <surrano(at)mailbox(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I convice postgres to use an index?
Date: 2004-07-20 14:21:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

The plan showed that Postgres did the proper cast on the timestamp. I
think part of the problem is that I need to increase the memory
allocated to effective_cache_size for the optimizer choose the proper
method. (Thanks to Richard Huxton for help.) I've read that if it
doesn't have enough ram, it will forego the index for a sequential
scan.. In my case, that's a very poor decision on the optimizer's
part. Disabling enable_seqscan seems to generally fix the problem but
I'm afraid that it might degrade performance elsewhere. I have
expermiented with the effective_cache_size and some other settings but
haven't had as much luck. I think I need more physical ram. Will try
that soon.

-Vic