Re: Crazy W2000 service behavior

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crazy W2000 service behavior
Date: 2004-07-19 19:26:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

On 19 Jul 2004 at 21:57, Stasys Adiklis wrote:

> Scrap my "Notes on W2000" letter folks. Cause the happy way to launch a
> service (from Administrator account): runas /user:pgsql "pg_ctl start"
> stopped working after a PC reboot. It threw me a nice message: "The
> application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142)." and died.
>
> After an hour or so i've tried again, and it worked OK... so i did a
> reboot.. and it did not work again!

I know there are very stupid questions because they have probably
been asked before, but:

1) After failing to start is there any other information other than the error
message you posted. In the event log for example. Not many
subsystems put out error 0x0000142 (decimal 322) mainly in the area
of "this thing you are trying to do already exists" so:

2) Since you have just rebooted are you sure the postgreSQL service is
not on automatic start and is already running?

Just stabs in the dark :-)

Cheers,
Gary.