Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication in main PostgreSQL codebase
Date: 2004-07-17 10:18:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Christopher Browne wrote:

> After a long battle with technology, list(dot)pgsql-admin(at)picton(dot)net ("Matt Browne"), an earthling, wrote:
>
>>I apologise in advance if any of my questions are in a FAQ somewhere - I
>>haven't seen them...
>>
>>Does anyone know when (if ever) replication support will be added to the
>>main PostgreSQL codebase? Is there any chance it'll be included in the
>>upcoming 7.5 release?
>

> Not much of a chance.
>

>>I've taken a look at the replication solutions already available,
>>including the sterling effort made on Slony-I, but we're really
>>looking for integrated, base-level support rather than an add-in.
>

> The problem is that "replication" doesn't tend to mean one thing, but
> people rather have different ideas of what it means.
>
> Jan Wieck puts it fairly nicely:
>
> "The number of different replication solutions available supports
> the theory that ``one size fits all'' is not true when it comes to
> database replication."

We all agree on that, postgres is hiding behind this concept as well
MySQL did till now with stored procedure, referencial integrity, transaction
bla bla bla

Most of the time the first question that I receive is: it's possible replicate
my data in an other database in order to perform heavy queries on it without
affect the master performances? You have to see the faces when the answer is:
with an add-in.

I believe that with the PITR + NT an or more integrated solutions in postgres
are not too far away to be developed

Regards
Gaetano Mendola