Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant

From: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant
Date: 2004-07-13 15:24:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lamar Owen wrote:

>Unfortunately, and while IANAL, I think this is true, neither PgSQL Inc nor
>PostgreSQL the project can now get trademark on the BEH since both have been
>using it for so long.  Of course, PostgreSQL the project isn't a legal
>entity, and so it really can't have a 'trademark' per se.

Whomever owns the trademark sets the rules, it's that simple. If you
don't think this is a big deal then think about all those entities who
do think this a big deal,
http://www.google.com/search?q=trademark+disputes+&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
.

Ask Marc, http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1017/trdp101713200e.html

>I understand Josh's point about the potential confusion of the project
>'endorsing' PostgreSQL Inc.

It's about power and control and not about endorsement