Re: LinuxTag wrapup

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: kar(at)kakidata(dot)dk
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date: 2004-07-05 07:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

>That would be great news indeed. Currently there is a lack of an Open Source
>heavy duty database design tool.
>
>If it can be compared to Erwin, it will be a big win - if it can do both
>reverse and forward engineering of databases.

It's is aimed to replace ErWIN or AppModeler/PowerDesigner.

>Do you know if it will support triggers, FK's, functions, schemas, etc ?

FKs for sure, schemas probably too.

Triggers are db specific, and thus virtually non-supportable if the
model should be database independent. Still, I have some ideas how to
create models targeted at more than one db system supporting views
(which often need to be designed individually for performance reasons)
and triggers. Same about functions.

Regards,
Andreas