LinuxTag wrapup

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: LinuxTag wrapup
Date: 2004-07-03 15:59:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dear developers,

classifying the questions we got those three days in the PostgreSQL
booth on LinuxTag, we had three ever repeating topics, two of them
- what's the difference to MyS***
- what about win32 native
- what about Oracle portability.

The third question was asked from serious corporate users, and what I
told them about ora2pg and simple procedure migration didn't satisfy
them completely: they asked about oracle sql query syntax compatibility.
They were quite disappointed when I told them we're ansi standard and
after numerous discussions we don't ever intend to implement that oracle

IMHO we should rethink if we could make those people happy. How about a
loadable personality (IIRC SAPDB has something like that), to exchange
the parser in use with a custom one (by a SET command)? This way we have
a pure ansi default, while enabling a way so someone could contribute an
oracle style parser.

BTW, many people I addressed when they rested for a few seconds in front
of the booth just said "no thanks, I don't have any questions, I'm using
PostgreSQL and I'm happy with it".