Re: Bug with view definitions?

From: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Bug with view definitions?
Date: 2004-07-02 02:34:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
<snip>
> Actually, if you look at the source code (information_schema.sql) there
> is no ORDER BY in it, only a DISTINCT.  The ORDER BY gets added by the
> parser to help implement the DISTINCT.  Sooner or later we should look
> at suppressing the added ORDER BY when displaying the view.

If someone fixes this can we make sure it goes into 7.4.4 as well (if
it's not a drastic code change)?

It's not a data corrupting bug but it's stopping view definitions from
"working as advertised" which is bad if you're used to being able to
rely on them.  :-/

For now, I'll personally use the pg_dump version of the query, or maybe
see if the one in backend/catalog/information_schema.sql can be run
directly.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift