Re: Supported languages

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Supported languages
Date: 2004-06-30 23:44:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Is either PL/Java or PL/J ready for prime-time?    As far as I'm concerned,
>any PL which is "production ready" should be in the same place.
>
>However, I'd the impression that both you and Gavin were still bug-hunting.

I have no known bugs at present but only a limited crowd of early
adopters uses Pl/Java. Consequently it has not been thoroughly tested
and to say that it's "production ready" would probably be a bit
optimistic. I would be very interested in working together with someone
who could write demanding tests. It's a known fact that tests written by
outsiders often find more bugs than tests written by the product developers.

 From a feature standpoint, I think Pl/Java is ready. It includes fully
functional support for functions, triggers, complex types (parameters
and return values), returning sets, a JDBC driver on top of SPI,
deployment/undeployment descriptors that executes SQL code, and more.

Right now I'm aligning Pl/Java with the upcoming 7.5 release and adding
gcj 3.4 as a possible choice of jvm (gcj is non proprietary and fits
right in from several other aspects as well).

I guess that "production ready" is a somewhat fuzzy measure. What would
it, in your opinion, take to claim that Pl/Java has reached it? Any
advice on how to get there?

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren