Problem with now() on 7.4.1-3 under cygwin?

From: Sean McCune <sean(at)redhandsoftware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with now() on 7.4.1-3 under cygwin?
Date: 2004-06-24 20:44:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi all,

We're running 7.4.1-3 under cygwin on Windows 2003 Server.  We're going
to upgrade to the latest, but it takes some time to schedule this on the
various systems its running on.  The system gets heavy usage... 43000
tiff files of about 30-40kb each have been inserted over a 3 month
period.   What we've found is that every month or two now() starts
returning the date and time when the database was started.  In two cases
now() latched at that time and reported it forever.  In the third case
it reset to that time and started ticking forward from there.  We cannot
cause this problem to happen at will, and it has only occurred on
production systems that get heavy usage.  We've never seen it happen on
our development or QA systems, but they don't get as heavy usage over as
long a period of time as the production systems, obviously.

When it occurs we see a timestamp field associated with a tiff image
that holds the date/time of image insertion drop back to this earlier
database startup time.  At that point, I can log into psql and start
doing "select now()" queries and watch it either return that database
startup time over and over again or watch it start keeping time again
from that database startup time.

I have not run into this problem under Linux before, but that doesn't
mean anything.  This application running under cygwin is more heavy duty
than what I've run on Linux.  So we don't know if its a general postgres
bug or something that's only occurring on cygwin.

I tried to search for this issue in the archives of pgsql-bugs on the
website, but the search engine seems to be down.  So be gentle with the
RTFMs.  :)  The upshot is, I don't know if this is an existing issue,
solved issue, or something new... or if somehow we have broken it.  :)
  I have not been able to find a bugzilla or RT URL to search through
postgres bugs.  Is this not publicly available?  Are the pgsql-bugs
archives the only way to search for existing and/or solved bugs?

Thanks in advance ,
Sean McCune
sean(at)redhandsoftware(dot)com

pgsql-bugs by date