Re: Database, Table Names are resulting in lowercase

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: Hemapriya <priyam_1121(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database, Table Names are resulting in lowercase
Date: 2004-06-24 14:50:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
If you specify an object's name without quoting it, e.g.:

then it is read as all lower case.  This means, that table "mytable"
will be altered, and the new column will be called "mynewcol".

To force mixed or upper case, you quote the names, e.g.:

This will alter only a table called "MyTable", and table "mytable" will
not be altered.  The new column will be called "MyNewCol".

IMHO, this system allows you to have mixed/upper case if you need it,
but keeps things simpler if you don't need it by avoiding case-sensitive
confusion.  You can keep your SQL code more readable by adopting
case-specific name conventions (in the above examples, the SQL keywords
are all in upper case and the names all mixed or lower case), without
worrying about the objects getting created in a jumble of different
cases (if, e.g., a previous DBA used a different case convention from
the new DBA).

In my experience the only use for true mixed-case names are when I
import a table from another database, e.g. MS SQL Server or Access;  at
that time it's essential to have the quoting mechanism to ALLOW me to
specify a truly-mixed-case table or column name, since the import
mechanisms tend to preserve the true name case which in MS are often

Hope this helps,