Fixing pg_dump

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fixing pg_dump
Date: 2004-06-24 03:58:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK,

I think it might save me some time if I get some guidance on how we
should modify pg_dump to fix the owner/grants issue.

I intend to make new archives created with 7.5 pg_dump have the fix, and
restoring pre 7.5 binary dumps will have exactly the previous
behaviour. The reason for this is that extracting the acls and owners
to the end requires scanning the entire archive twice - not necessarily
something we want to do (is it?)

So, I have to make acls and owners completely independent
DumpableObjects, right? Then I can get them sorted to the end, etc., etc.

I also intend to implement a flag that makes it use the sql standard set
session_authorization behaviour.

Is all that the way to go?

Chris