Re: [GENERAL] Building pgadmin on Fedora core 2

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "Scot L(dot) Harris" <webid(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Building pgadmin on Fedora core 2
Date: 2004-06-23 14:46:39
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> Joe Conway wrote:
>
> | Scot L. Harris wrote:
> |
> |> Running Fedora Core 2 trying to build pgadmin3 from source.
> |>
> |> Build wxWindows from sources. Appeared to build and install no
> problem.
> |>
> |> But when building pgadmin get the following error as it tries to build
> |> pgadmin3.
> |>

> /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2ud_core-2.5.a(corelib_settings.o)(.text+0xa55):
> |> In function `wxSystemSettingsNative::GetFont(wxSystemFont)':
> |> src/gtk/settings.cpp:346: undefined reference to
> |> `_gtk_rc_context_get_default_font_name'
> |>
> /usr/local/lib/libwx_gtk2ud_core-2.5.a(corelib_menu.o)(.text+0xc5c): In
> |> function `wxMenubarUnsetInvokingWindow':
> |> src/gtk/menu.cpp:275: undefined reference to `_gtk_accel_group_detach'
> |

> | After lots of googling I found reference to the fact that wxWindows
> uses
> | gtk functions that are supposed to be internal use only (i.e. all the
> | _gtk* functions). The version of gtk that ships with fc2 no longer
> | exports these symbols. My solution was to patch gtk to re-allow export
> | of the internal symbols -- see attached patch.
> |
> | I could not get gtk+-2.4.0 to build on my system starting from the
> | (supposedly) fc2 src rpm. So I ended up building a gtk+-2.4.1 rpm using
> | the patched source as mentioned above. From there, all was well with
> | pgadmin3.
>
> Would it be better for us to put a patch into our wxWindows tree for
> this, rather than patching gtk?

At first glance, for _gtk_rc_context_get_default_font_name wx cvs has a
reimplementation for it, while gtk_accel_group_detach still seems to be
in use. Anyhow, I agree that we never-ever should also start to patch
gtk; wx patching is nightmare enough.

For LinuxTag's sake, I don't have the time to check this further. But
after that I'll even see if I can reimplement some wxrc stuff to work
around wx cvs weakness about fonts. Any investment on the wx side in
this topic is just a waste of time.

Regards,
Andreas