Re: postgresql and openmosix migration

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Bill <bill(at)math(dot)uchicago(dot)edu>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql and openmosix migration
Date: 2004-06-23 01:25:16
Lists: pgsql-performance
Bill wrote:
> Ok, so maybe someone on this group will have a better idea.  We have a
> database of financial information, and this has literally millions of
> entries.  I have installed indicies, but for the rather computationally
> demanding processes we like to use, like a select query to find the
> commodity with the highest monthly or annual returns, the computer generally
> runs unacceptably slow.  So, other than clustring, how could I achieve a
> speed increase in these complex queries?  Is this better in mysql or
> postgresql?

If the bottleneck is really computational, not I/O, you might try PL/R
in conjunction with the rpvm R package. rpvm allows R to make use of pvm
to split its load among a cluster. See:

R:
   http://www.r-project.org/

PL/R:
   http://www.joeconway.com/plr/

rpvm:
   http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/rpvm.html
   http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/rpvm.pdf

I haven't had a chance to play with this myself yet, but I hope to
relatively soon.

HTH,

Joe