Re: possible GDI resource leak

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible GDI resource leak
Date: 2004-06-22 19:28:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
On 22 Jun 2004 at 14:55, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> I'm running a recent snapshot and started noticing strange behavior on
> the desktop.  Explorer was refusing to hide/show windows and
> right-clicking on the application icon in the explorer bar refused to
> show the system menu.  For those of you not in the know, this is the
> classic sign that your system is out of handles (yes, this can even
> happen on 2000/XP).
>
> I began killing processes one by one to see who it was and everything
> returned to normal after shutting down the server.  This could have been
> a fluke, but be sure to mention it if you experience something similar.
>
> Merlin

Why would postgres use GDI at all (apart from maybe a hidden console
window and system menu)? Using Task Mangler I can see that each
postgres instance uses 4 GDI objects. So unless you have a hell of a
lot of connections to the database I can't see it using up a lot of GDI
objects. OTOH each postgres instance uses 140 (ish) handles. So after
a while handles may get a little clogged up if you have loads of
connections.

Have you used Task Mangler to look at handles, GDI object etc?

Regards,
Gary.