Re: Misc topics

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Misc topics
Date: 2004-06-22 19:38:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

>>>I see what's happening. I dump things in text format more often than
>>>not, and that's what it's barfing on. I think that needs to
>>>

>>be handled
>>

>>>a lttle more cleanly when we release - perhaps check the file format
>>>before passing it to pg_restore,
>>>

>>Ok, checking the file signature seems reasonable.
>>

>>>and if text, just load the first hundred lines or so for inspection.
>>>

>>No. Advice to use Query Tool instead or sth like that.
>>

>Not really a good idea for say, a 300MB backup though is it?

So why don't you use tar or compressed format? The Restore Tool is a
frontend for pg_restore, which can't handle plain.
Anyway, with file signature checking there will be just a message
"incompatible format" or so.

>>>Whilst we're on that subject, most of my backups have .sql
>>>

>>extensions -
>>

>>>any objection to adding that as a defaul extension in the file open
>>>dialogue.
>>>

>>For backup only, not restore; we don't want to offer
>>arbitrary scripts to pg_restore.
>>

>Mine are not arbitrary scripts. They are backups that happen to be in
>plain text format, and have an appropriate .sql extension.

I understand, I'd simply not recommend to use plain for backup purposes.
It has many disadvantages.
I'd recommend plain dump only if you'd need to edit the dump, i.e. if
it's *not* meant for backup/restore purposes.

>>Maybe we should *create* the context menu on-demand, instead
>>of enabling/disabling. Disabled menus always signal "this
>>item might be enabled under some circumstances", which is
>>usually not true in that very context.
>>

>That's not a bad idea - the tools menu should remain constant of course.

Agreed, context menu only.

Todo.

Regards,
Andreas