Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-19 17:40:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I don't see why an admin tool can't connect to each database and get a
>listing of what is in each tablespace. I don't think connecting to 100
>databases to get that information will be slow.

Well, whatever you call slow or not slow.
I checked it; connecting 10 databases, retrieving tablespace
dependencies (pg_class union pg_schema) and closing takes about one
second over an ssl connection, 0.2 seconds with non-ssl. This was a
trusted connection, can't check what will happen with md5, krb or so.

Regards,
Andreas