Re: case stement when null

From: "V i s h a l Kashyap (at) [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: Jaime Casanova <el_vigia_ec(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: case stement when null
Date: 2004-06-19 10:20:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear Jaime ,

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
> "public"."rec_f_consultarplanificacionrubros" (smallint, smallint,
> char(9), smallint, smallint, smallint, char(2)) RETURNS SETOF
> "public"."rec_td_rubrosplanificados" AS '
> select rub_codigo, cpa_valor, cpa_fechavencimiento
> from rec_m_cuadropagosciclo
> where ent_codigo = $1
> and sec_codigo = $2
> and ani_codigo = $3
> and case $4
> when null then cic_codigo IN (select cic_codigo from
> aca_m_cicloaniolectivo
> where
> ent_codigo = $1
> and
> sec_codigo = $2
> and
> ani_codigo = $3)
> else cic_codigo = $4
> end
> ' LANGUAGE 'sql'
>
> but when $4 is null the function executes the else part and what i
> want to do is to execute the when null. Can you help me???

How about this

coalesce($4,l (select cic_codigo from aca_m_cicloaniolectivo
where ent_codigo
= $1
and sec_codigo
= $2
and ani_codigo
= $3) )

It was a coincidence that I was also working on same kinda query thus I
am also in R&D phase
more could be found at
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/22.html

PostgreSQL documentation talks very less about this i.e with out any
example.

I would submit a request along with example.

--
Regards,
Vishal Kashyap