Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-18 22:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Gavin Sherry wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Gavin Sherry wrote:
>>

>>>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>>
>>>[snip]

>>>Do we need an information_schema.tablespaces view as well as an update to
>>>information_schema.{tables|indexes|...} ?
>>>

>>I checked this to implement it, and found it being less then trivial
>>when *all* objects of a tablespace should be displayed, not just the
>>ones in the current database.
>>

>I don't think we should try and show all objects for a tablespace in
>information_schema.

Agreed, information_schema is database specific. I was thinking about a
pg_tablespace_contents(..) function anyway.

>Being able to list all objects in a tablespace, including which databases
>they are in, is clearly useful, however (eg: hunting down use of a give
>tablespace that you want dropped). Sounds like a script in contrib (or the
>main source tree?) to me.

You're suggesting the dblink way using a shell script. Imagine 20, 200,
... databases. This would be a costly thing (and has to be  implemented
differently in win32).
I'd like to see an implementation that enables gui interfaces to show
objects that depend on a tablespace, so you'd need to be aware of a user
clicking on "show what's in that tablespace" and he probably wouldn't
expect to wait an extended period of time for all databases to be
scanned, or impose a 200-connection load on the server.

IMHO checking objects in a tablespace is a routine administrative task,
so it should be supported natively by the server without need of
contribs. And for win user acceptance, a command line tool won't be
sufficient either.

Regards,
Andreas