Re: pgsql-server: Tablespaces.

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Tablespaces.
Date: 2004-06-18 17:46:17
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>

>>Comment on TABLESPACE is impossible, no? Tablespaces are a global
>>relation and pg_description isn't.
>>

>Well, it has the same issues as COMMENT ON DATABASE, which we support,
>though crudely.
>
>Perhaps we should think about creating a shared version of
>pg_description so we could have more reasonable support for comments
>on shared objects. I'm not in a hurry for this but it would be a
>reasonable TODO item.

There are more sharing issues with tablespaces (which are already
supported in pgadmin3, btw :-)
To drop a tablespace, it must be empty, but it can be quite painful to
find out which objects are populating it. Currently, every database has
to be queried for pg_class.reltablespace=<mytablespaceoid>. I'd love to
show tablespace dependency information, which would require some sort of
global pg_namespace, pg_class and pg_index.

Any thoughts about this?

Regards,
Andreas