Re: Is there a faster way to do this?

From: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Patrick Hatcher <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a faster way to do this?
Date: 2004-06-15 20:38:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

One way to do it would be to:

Not put the percentile in the sales table;

Create an percentile table with a foreign key to the sales table primary
key and percentile int4:

CREATE TABLE percentiles(
fkey <whatever> PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES sales( <primary key>),
percentile INT4 );

Create a sequence for that ancillary table:
CREATE SEQUENCE percent_seq;

When ready to create the percentiles, truncate the percentile table and
reset the sequence next value:

TRUNCATE percentiles; setval( 'percent_seq', 0);

Now query your sales with the proper order by:

INSERT INTO percentiles SELECT pk_sales, nextval( 'percent_seq') /
tile_size FROM sales ORDER BY sales_value;

HTH