Re: stderr & win32 admin check

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stderr & win32 admin check
Date: 2004-06-15 18:29:47
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>

>>Well, that's kinda the point. If you are a hacker who has local admin
>>privs (not exactly unusual on Windows networks - in some cases Power
>>User group membership is required to run legacy software), you *cannot*
>>run PostgreSQL except as a service, thus potentially making it a show
>>stopper for those users.
>>

>So? I don't follow why "run it as a service" isn't a sufficient answer,
>and indeed the preferred way to do it.

We don't know what the usage pattern is going to be on Windows - I think
we need to keep it as flexible as possible consistent with good
security. Bear in mind that Windows is effectively a one-console system
- that's one reason why so many users just log on as Administrator -
switching to another user is much more of a pain than it is on Unix.

cheers

andrew