Re: Speed issues

From: Bob Henkel <roberthenkel(at)spymac(dot)com>
To: Gary Doades <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed issues
Date: 2004-06-09 00:53:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Gary Doades wrote:

>On 8 Jun 2004 at 18:21, Dru wrote:
>

>>Hello. I have noticed a serious degrade in performance of postgresql
>>server under windows if you use the computer at the same time.
>>Performance is fine if the server is stand alone, but if i run client
>>software on the same computer performance seems to drop significantly.
>>

>How do you define "significantly"?
>
>There is bound to be some performance drop. You are stealing CPU cycles
>from the postgres processes and competing for disk IO.
>
>Can you use Task Manager to determine the amount of CPU and disk IO
>being used for the postgres processes and your client program(s)?
>
>Does you client process do a lot of disk IO or use a lot of memory that
>would cause paging activity? This may also mean that postgres (Windows)
>cannot cache as much of the database in memory.
>
>Also accessing the postgres backend from a client on the same PC will
>cause a lot more context switching between the processes.
>
>If you can post answers to some of the above questions then you may be
>getting somewhere to answering your question.
>
>Regards,
>Gary.

In my experience Windows has always been horrible for things like
this(I/O contention between apps). At least the non server versions of
it. I can setup the same issue with other applications. There may be
room for PostgreSQL to be optimized, but Windows will always have some
kind of issue at least up to from NT to XP and everything in between.

When I use Linux or FreeBSD these types of things don't seem to really
be an issue.

Just my quick non-scientific/no data to back it up observation.