Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)
Date: 2004-06-07 15:47:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> writes:
>

>>What if there's no file access
>>

>If you don't have any access to the machine then you are not really a
>DBA, you only play one on TV.

However you may call me, I can think of many cases where I'd like to
look at the server log, without wanting to change the configuration or
start/stop the postmaster. The error message sent to the application
might be lost, or an interference with another app might have caused
troubles, so a collected log is fine for such cases, preferrably
displayed by the same tool I'm tuning my queries with.

What you're telling me is that people should have a telnet session to
the linux box and tail /usr/data/pgsql/serverlog, while they're working
with comfortable gui tools otherwise. Sound dissatisfying.

The rhdb control center seems fine for a sysadmin-dbadmin who's going to
install and reconfigure a machine, but I certainly don't want this for
SQL centric work. And a Java GUI is a bad idea on win32 either...

Regards,
Andreas