Re: Backup and Restore of PostgreSQL

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Tim Penhey <tim(at)penhey(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup and Restore of PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-07 13:56:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Penhey wrote:
> Richard Huxton mentioned:
>

>>The pg_dump utility is the standard way to backup PostgreSQL and the
>>custom format is already compressed.

> The question though is how to call this from a java servlet / hopefully in a OS
> independant way.

Well, obviously file-paths can be dealt with simply, and pg_dump will
output to a named file, so you're ok there.
As for safely calling external programs, that's probably more a question
for the servlet system (Tomcat I think you said) - it's not different to
calling any other external program.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd